Friday 22 September 2017

Mary's Joined the Band

Monday 18th September -  Tralee to Camp.
Yesterday had gone really well but Al needed a bit of time to recuperate so I set off on my own. I didn’t feel like a solo epic, so plumped for a ride along the north coast of the Tralee peninsular. The weather was warm but windy and the road was a constant run of traffic. A very half- hearted cycle track ran intermittently for around ten kilometres. The remainder of this narrow, but main road, was shared with every conceivable sort of vehicle. That the cycle routes of Ireland need some serious organising was made evident by the requirement of a lead vehicle complete with flashing lights to ensure the safety of a group of riders following the Wild Atlantic Way. Sadly, I was going in the opposite direction and anyway they were going too fast!
I bent my head to my favourite nostril wind and headed for Camp. I had just started a small climb to the village when I could hear loud music. Only in Ireland could a main road host a farmers’ market complete with a live band! (Culchie Goes Cool) and they were foot tapping fab. As a lone cyclist appearing for no good reason, I found myself something of a celebrity, welcomed by the band and then subsequently waved off by the many occupants of the pub! Such fun.


The return was something of an anti climax but fast, with a following wind and a predominantly  downhill gradient. Able to raise my head, I could appreciate the views of Fenit to my left and the Slieve Mountains to the right.  I enjoyed my couple of hours and Al enjoyed his well deserved recuperation.

No comments:

Post a Comment